Cognitive Structures: Linguistic, Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives
The DFG Collaborative Research Centre 991: The Structure of Representations in Language, Cognition, and Science (Germany) invites abstracts for its biannual conference that aims to cover a broad range of research on language and cognition.
We are especially interested in theoretical, empirical and experimental work exploring the nature of mental representations that support natural language production/understanding, other manifestations of cognition as well as general reasoning about the world. One fundamental question raised in this general topic area is whether the requisite knowledge structures can be adequately modeled by means of a uniform representational format, and if so, what exactly is its nature.
Topics addressed may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- frames, which have had a strong impact on the exploration of knowledge representations in artificial intelligence, psychology and linguistics: e.g., formal theories of frames (including their modeling by means of DAGs, AVMs), frame semantics and constructions, frame induction, linking frame semantics to truth conditional semantics;
- concepts and categorization: formation/acquisition of concepts, concept types and shifts, grounding of concepts, prototypes, concept empiricism, conceptual spaces and similarity of concepts, statistical concepts;
- experimental investigation of mental representation;
- semantic interpretation and mental representation: the syntax/semantics interface, compositionality, lexical semantic decomposition, (dynamic) representation of aspect and tense, temporal sequencing in discourse.
- Lawrence Barsalou (University of Glasgow)
- Verity Brown (University of St Andrews)
- Robin Cooper (Gothenburg University)
- Igor Douven (CNRS and Paris-Sorbonne University)
- Adele Goldberg (Princeton University)
- Marcin Morzycki (Michigan State University)
- Manfred Krifka (Humboldt University and ZAS, Berlin)
- Francois Recanati (Institut Jean Nicod, Paris)
Abstract Submission Deadline:
April 17, 2016 May 1, 2016
Notification of acceptance:
May 30, 2016 June 15, 2016
Conference: September 15-17, 2016